NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
1. SPONSOR. The 2020 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS BRACKET CHALLENGE™ (the "Promotion") is sponsored by NHL Interactive CyberEnterprises, LLC, 1185 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, United States, 10036 (the “Sponsor”).
2. ELIGIBILITY. To be eligible to win a prize (as further described below), you must be a current legal resident of the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia, Canada, Bulgaria, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom (excluding Northern Ireland) (the “Eligible Territories”) who is at least the age of majority or older in your jurisdiction of primary residence as of the date of entry into the Promotion (each such eligible resident, as applicable, an “Entrant”). Residents of Finland and China are not eligible to win the Perfect Bracket Prize and are only eligible to win the Grand Prize (each as further described below). Registration is free and no purchase is necessary to participate at any time in the Promotion. Only eligible Entrants may compete for the opportunity to win a prize; any other participant (including legal residents of any country or jurisdiction other than the Eligible Territories) may only compete for “bragging rights” and are not eligible to win any prizing. The Promotion is void where prohibited by law. Employees (including, for clarity, any current or former NHL® players), officers, directors, representatives, and agents of the Sponsor, the National Hockey League (“NHL”), the NHL’s Member Clubs, NHL Enterprises Canada, L.P., NHL Enterprises B.V., NHL Enterprises, L.P., NHL Network US, L.P., BamTech, LLC, ExpandTheRoom, LLC, Smartronix, Inc., any presenting sponsor (if applicable), and each of the foregoing entities’ affiliates, licensors and prize providers (collectively, the “Ineligible Entities”), as well as members of such employees’, officers’, directors’, representatives’, and agents’ immediate families, namely spouses, children, siblings and parents, and/or persons living in the same household as such persons (at least three months a year, whether or not related), are not eligible to enter this Promotion.
3. TIMING. The Promotion begins immediately after all sixteen (16) Playoff spots for the 2020 Stanley Cup® Playoffs (the “Playoffs”) have been determined and all seedings have been established but in any event, barring any unforeseen scheduling changes, no later than 2:00:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) the morning following the conclusion of the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers™ (the “Qualifiers”), and ends at the conclusion of the last game of the Playoffs (the "Promotion Period"). The Promotion Website's (as defined below) computer is the official clock for all purposes of the Promotion. Please check the Promotion Website for more information regarding the actual start and end dates and times. In the event there is an unforeseen scheduling change, notice will be posted on the Promotion Website.
4. HOW TO ENTER.
Entry into the Promotion
Entry into the Promotion is comprised of the following steps: (1) registration for a free NHL.com account (an “NHL Account”) including agreement to the Official Rules. Note: by registering for the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs Bracket Challenge™ and agreeing to the Official Rules, Entrant automatically joins the “NHL League”; and (2) for the NHL League, completing a Playoffs bracket of all NHL® teams that qualified for the Playoffs by picking the teams that Entrant believes will advance during the Playoffs (the “Bracket”) including answering bonus questions, and then saving that Bracket by following the instructions and clicking the button provided (steps (1) and (2), the “Entry”). As part of the Entry process, at Entrant’s option, an Entrant shall also be able to select and join one (1) or more additional “Leagues” in which to participate, and for each such League the Entrant shall create and submit a Bracket (or assign a Bracket already created for another League that the Entrant has joined) in order to enter that League (See League Play in Section 5 of these Official Rules for more details). There is a limit of one (1) Bracket per League that the Entrant joins (including, for clarity, the NHL League). To submit an Entry, first go to the Promotion website located at www.NHL.com/bracket (the “Promotion Website”). Entrants then have two options:
Option 1 - Early Registration Followed by League Selection and Completion and Saving of Bracket(s):
As a prerequisite to entering the Promotion, an Entrant must first have a registered account with www.NHL.com (i.e., an NHL Account). It is free of charge to register for an account. If an Entrant does not already have an NHL Account, the Entrant can register for one at the Promotion Website during the early registration period which begins on or about 12:00 p.m. (noon) (“ET”) on July 16, 2020 (i.e., before all Playoffs teams have been determined) via desktop either by clicking on the designated start button on the landing page or the “Create Account” link on the top right of the page or via mobile by clicking on the designated start button on the landing page. Then follow the instructions to complete and submit the registration form by providing the required contact information including first name, last name, email, password, country, postal/ZIP code, and favorite team (optional for Entrants outside of the 50 United States and District of Columbia). After registering for an NHL Account, to complete the Entry process an Entrant will then have to return to the Promotion Website after all Playoffs teams have been determined (which will be set, barring any unforeseen scheduling changes, no later than 2:00:00 a.m. ET the morning following the conclusion of the Qualifiers) to agree to the Official Rules (thereby automatically joining the NHL League), select and join other Leagues as desired, and complete and submit (or assign from another League) one (1) Bracket to each League that the Entrant has joined, including the NHL League, by following the instructions and clicking the appropriate buttons provided. Please note that the first Bracket that the Entrant has saved 1) will first be submitted into the Promotion as part of the NHL League and the Entrant will have entered the Promotion and 2) may then be submitted into any additional League(s) selected.
Option 2 - Simultaneous Registration, League Selection and Completion/Saving of Bracket(s):
After all Playoffs teams have been determined (which, again, will be set, barring any unforeseen scheduling changes, no later than 2:00:00 a.m. ET the morning following the conclusion of the Qualifiers), an Entrant may simultaneously register for an NHL Account (if the Entrant does not yet have one) free of charge by clicking on the “Create Account” link and following the same registration instructions as set forth in Option 1 (including agreeing to the Official Rules), select and join other Leagues as desired, and complete and submit (or assign from another League) one (1) Bracket to each League that the Entrant has joined by going to the Promotion Website and following the instructions and clicking the appropriate buttons provided. Again, please note that the first Bracket that the Entrant has saved 1) will first be submitted into the Promotion as part of the NHL League and the Entrant will have entered the Promotion and 2) may then be submitted into any additional League(s) selected.
An Entry is not deemed completed until an Entry name is created and all predictions have been submitted via a saved Bracket. An Entrant may make changes to a saved Bracket by changing his/her picks and then following the instructions and clicking the button provided again to re-save the respective Bracket. The most recently saved Bracket before the commencement of the Playoffs will be the Entrant’s Entry. Registration for an NHL Account for the purpose of participating in the Promotion, along with the rest of the Entry, must be completed and submitted no later than one (1) minute before the first telecast of Round 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs begins (the “Picks Period Closing Date”). No changes may be made to any existing Brackets, and no new Brackets will be accepted following the Picks Period Closing Date. An incomplete entry form does not constitute a valid Entry for purposes of this Promotion and will not be accepted.
LIMIT: ONE (1) REGISTRATION AND A MAXIMUM OF ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON AND PER EMAIL ADDRESS DURING THE PROMOTION PERIOD, AND ONE (1) BRACKET PER LEAGUE (INCLUDING THE NHL LEAGUE). NOTE: A USER’S BRACKET MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE NHL LEAGUE IN ORDER TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PERFECT BRACKET PRIZE (AS FURTHER DESCRIBED BELOW). ANY BRACKET SUBMITTED INTO ANY OTHER LEAGUE WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PERFECT BRACKET PRIZE. No person may register/enter more than once by using different email addresses and no email addresses can be used to submit more than one (1) Bracket/Entry into the Promotion. Proof of submitting an Entry will not be deemed by Sponsor as proof of receipt or entry into the Promotion. Any attempted form of entry into the Promotion other than as described herein is void and will be disqualified. Entries from the same person and/or email address in excess of the number stated herein will be disqualified. Any attempt by an Entrant to use multiple email accounts will result in disqualification. Any use of robotic, repetitive, automatic, programmed or similar entry methods or agents will void all Entries by that Entrant. Entries that are incomplete, late, garbled or corrupted are void and will not be accepted. All Entries become the property of Sponsor upon receipt and will not be acknowledged or returned.
5. HOW TO PLAY.
General Rules: An Entrant participates in the Promotion by completing and saving one (1) Bracket predicting the teams that the Entrant believes will advance in each applicable round of the Playoffs (each, a “Round”) culminating with the team that the Entrant believes will win the Stanley Cup® Championship and be the 2020 Stanley Cup® Champion. To complete a Bracket, an Entrant is required to predict the winning team of each best-of-seven-game series matchup (each, a “Series”) in each Round. There are four (4) Rounds in all. Therefore, each Entrant completes a Bracket by first predicting the winning teams for each Series in the 1st Round, and then the 2nd Round, 3rd Round and 4th Round in that order. NOTE: To account for this year’s Playoffs format, a team’s placement within the 2nd Round may move based on the seeds of all teams you have chosen because the highest remaining seed will play the lowest remaining seed in each Conference, with the other two remaining seeds meeting in the other Series. For more details, see below for an overview of the Playoffs format. For each winning team correctly selected, an Entrant will be awarded a designated amount of points (“Basic Scoring Points”), depending on which Round is in play. The later the Round, the more points an Entrant will earn for correctly picking winning teams in that Round. In addition, for the 1st Round only, an Entrant may earn bonus points (“Bonus Points”) by correctly answering the required bonus question for each Series in the 1st Round so long as such Entrant also correctly predicts the winning team in each such Series. Answers to each bonus question are to be made where indicated in the Bracket. If an Entrant correctly answers the bonus question for a given Series but does not correctly predict the winning team for that Series, then the Entrant will not receive any Bonus Points for that Series. NOTE: To be eligible for the Perfect Bracket Prize (as further described below), the answers to all of the bonus questions in the 1st Round must also be correct. See below in the Scoring section for more details about how points are scored. Any ties in scoring will be governed by the tiebreaker rules below and, for that reason, Entrants will also be required to answer one (1) tiebreaker question when completing the Bracket.
An Entrant must submit his or her predictions for every applicable Round – by saving a completed Bracket (including answering the tiebreaker question(s) and the bonus question for each 1st Round Series) by the “Picks Period Closing Date”. An Entrant may make changes to a Bracket (by making appropriate edits and re-saving the respective Bracket) before the Picks Period Closing Date, as applicable. Once the Picks Period Closing Date has ended, all Brackets for Entry into the Promotion will be locked, and no new Brackets or changes to any saved Brackets will be accepted.
Objective: The objective of the Promotion is to score as many points as possible during the Playoffs. The one (1) Entrant with the top score amongst all eligible Entrants in the Promotion by the end of the Playoffs will win the Grand Prize (as further described below) after applying the tiebreaker rules below in the event of any ties in scoring. In the event an Entrant has created and submitted a perfect bracket into the NHL League (each a “Perfect Bracket”) whereby he/she has earned all possible points in the Promotion by correctly predicting the outcome of all games during the Playoffs and by correctly answering all 1st Round bonus questions, he/she will be eligible to win the Perfect Bracket Prize, pending eligibility verification (as further described below). All prizes eligible to be awarded are further explained below.
Overview of Playoffs Format:
Once the Qualifiers have concluded and Playoff seedings have been determined, the Playoffs will begin with eight (8) teams in the Eastern Conference and eight (8) teams in the Western Conference. There are four (4) Rounds during the Playoffs. In each Round, Playoff teams will play against each other in a Series (i.e., best-of-seven games), with each Series featuring two (2) Playoffs teams playing against each other. In each Series, the first NHL® team to win four (4) games against the opposing NHL® team is the winning team in that Series and will advance to the next Round. In each succeeding round of the Playoffs, the highest remaining seed in each Conference will face the lowest remaining seed, the second-highest remaining seed in each Conference will face the second-lowest remaining seed, etc. The first three Rounds – the 1st Round, 2nd Round, and Conference Finals (i.e., 3rd Round) - take place within each Conference to determine the Conference champion. The Eastern Conference champion will then play the Western Conference champion in the Stanley Cup® Final (i.e., the fourth and final Round of the Playoffs), after which the winning team will be awarded the Stanley Cup® trophy as the champion of the 2019-2020 NHL® season.
Since there are two Conferences, there are eight (8) Series in all in the 1st Round. The winning teams in each Series in the 1st Round will advance to the 2nd Round. Since after the 1st Round there are four (4) teams remaining in each Conference, there are two (2) Series matchups within each Conference in the 2nd Round (and thus, four (4) in all). The winning teams in the 2nd Round advance to the 3rd Round (the Conference Finals), in which the two (2) remaining teams in each Conference play against each other, so there is a total of two (2) Series matchups in this Round. The winning teams in the 3rd Round – i.e., the Eastern Conference Champion and the Western Conference Champion – advance to the Stanley Cup® Final (the 4th Round). There is only one Series in the 4th Round. The winner of the Stanley Cup® Final is the 2020 Stanley Cup® Champion. In the 1st Round, 2nd Round and 3rd Round (the Conference Finals), the higher-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 1, 2, 5 and 7. The lower-seeded team will be designated as the home team in Games 3, 4 and 6. In the Stanley Cup Final, the team with the higher regular season points percentage will be designated as the home team in Games 1, 2, 5 and 7. The team with the lower regular season points percentage will be designated as the home team in Games 3, 4 and 6.
Scoring: There are two (2) ways an Entrant can earn points during the Promotion: Basic Scoring Points and Bonus Points. From all eligible Entries received, each potential winner of the Promotion will be determined based on such Entrant’s ability to use his or her skill and knowledge of hockey in general and the NHL in particular to accumulate the most points during the Promotion Period.
Basic Scoring: An Entrant must correctly guess the winner of a Series in order to be awarded Basic Scoring Points. Basic Scoring Points per correct prediction/selection per Series in a given Round are shown below:
1st Round: Earn 10 points for each correctly-predicted Series winner.
2nd Round: Earn 25 points for each correctly-predicted Series winner.
3rd Round - Conference Finals: Earn 50 points for each correctly-predicted Series winner.
4th Round - Stanley Cup® Final: Earn 100 points for correctly predicting the winner of the Stanley Cup® Final Series matchup (i.e., the 2020 Stanley Cup® Champion)
In the event a Series does not occur as scheduled (e.g., due to cancellation, postponement, etc.) no points will be awarded in respect of that Series.
Bonus Points: For each Series in the 1st Round, there will be one (1) bonus question. The bonus question for each Series in the 1st Round is as follows: The Entrant must predict how many games will be played in that particular Series. If the Entrant correctly answers the bonus question for a given Series, such Entrant shall be awarded three (3) Bonus Points so long as such Entrant also correctly predicted the winner of that Series. By way of example, since there are eight (8) Playoff Series in the 1st Round, there are eight (8) bonus questions to be answered (one per Series). Thus, an Entrant has the opportunity to earn as much as twenty-four (24) Bonus Points in the 1st Round (by correctly answering each bonus question and correctly predicting each Series winner). If an Entrant does not correctly predict the winner of a given Series but correctly answers the bonus question for that Series, then the Entrant will not receive any Bonus Points for that Series. Entrants must answer the bonus question for each 1st Round Series when completing and saving the Bracket prior to the Picks Period Closing Date. An Entrant may change his/her answers to bonus questions before the Picks Period Closing Date, by making any appropriate changes and again re-saving the respective Bracket, but once the Picks Period Closing Date occurs, all answers will lock and may not be changed again.
Perfect Bracket Scoring: A Perfect Bracket is 404 points. In order to have a Perfect Bracket, you must correctly-predict the winning NHL® team in each Series and correctly answer each of the 1st Round bonus questions prior to the Picks Period Closing Date. In the event one or more Series do not occur as scheduled for any reason whatsoever (e.g., health and safety reasons), and a true Perfect Bracket totaling 404 points cannot occur, the Perfect Bracket Prize (as defined below) will be null and void and will not be awarded.
League Play: For clarity, when creating a Bracket, the first Bracket created by each eligible Entrant will be submitted into the Promotion automatically for participation on an individual basis in the NHL League. In addition to participating in the Promotion on an individual basis in the NHL League, each Entrant may also participate in additional group or league play (each such group or league, a “League”; for clarity, the NHL League will also constitute a League) by either setting up his or her own League or by joining another League already established by another Entrant or by an NHL Member Club or NHL partner. Leagues may be public or private. Entrants within a particular League compete against one another by either (a) using the same Brackets (and thus the same picks) submitted by such Entrants for entry into another League (including the NHL League), in which case, the Entrant is “assigning” that Bracket from such other League to serve as the same Bracket for the new League that the Entrant has just joined; or (b) creating and submitting a new Bracket just for that particular League. For clarity, if an Entrant first joins a League other than the NHL League, then the first Bracket submitted by each Entrant will be submitted to both the NHL League and the League that the Entrant just joined (although the Entrant may change either Bracket before the Picks Period Closing Date). The Entrant with the highest score within a particular League will be deemed to be the winner of that League.
Please note that only the NHL League is the official League for the Promotion. As noted above, an Entrant’s Bracket must be submitted to the NHL League in order to be eligible for the Perfect Bracket Prize (as further described below). Any Bracket submitted into any other League will not be eligible for the Perfect Bracket Prize. Generally, participating in other League play is only for bragging rights and Entrants will not be entitled to any prizes whatsoever on account of having the highest score in a particular League. However, an NHL partner or NHL Member Club may award its own prizing in a given League established by such partner (any such League, either a “Partner League” or a “Club League”, as applicable). In any such Partner or Club League, the NHL partner or NHL Member Club running such League is sponsoring the prizing opportunity, and as such, participation in any such League is subject to its own respective rules (including prizing terms and conditions) that must be accepted by an Entrant wishing to participate in any such Partner or Club League prior to play. Any such prizing eligible to be won in a Partner or Club League is completely separate from the prizing awarded by Sponsor under this Promotion, and for the avoidance of doubt, Sponsor will not be awarding any prizing as a result of winning a particular League (including any Partner or Club League) other than the NHL League; an Entrant must be one of the winners of the Promotion (i.e., the NHL League) in order to be eligible for Sponsor prizing as set forth in these Official Rules.
Before an Entrant can submit a Bracket as his/her Entry into the Promotion, the Entrant will first be prompted to join a League. By default (when registering and agreeing to the Official Rules before the Picks Period Closing Date), an Entrant automatically joins the NHL League and, regardless of what other League is selected, the first Bracket submitted by each Entrant will automatically be submitted as his/her Entry into the Promotion as part of the NHL League. The Entrant may then assign that Bracket submitted to the NHL League to serve as the Entrant’s Bracket for each other League that the Entrant joins. Alternatively, the Entrant may create a new Bracket for one (1) or more other Leagues that the Entrant joins, or the Entrant can mix-and-match by creating new Brackets for some Leagues and assigning those Brackets to other Leagues, so long as there is not more than one (1) Bracket for each League that the Entrant has joined. Participating in a League (other than the official NHL League) is optional and does not in any way affect or increase the Entrant’s chances of winning the Promotion.
6. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES; SPONSOR DECISIONS BINDING. Participation in the Promotion constitutes full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules by the Entrant. By entering the Promotion, each Entrant agrees and acknowledges to be bound by the Official Rules, as well as the decisions of the Sponsor which are final and binding in all respects.
7. WINNER SELECTION. At 4:00 p.m. ET on the fifth business day following the conclusion of the Promotion (which will occur once the last game of the Playoffs has ended), the one (1) Entrant who has the top point score amongst all eligible Entrants in the Promotion (after factoring in any tiebreakers in accordance with the tiebreaker rules below) will be determined, by Sponsor’s representatives located at the NHL office in New York, NY, to be the potential winner of the Grand Prize in the Promotion. The Entrant who has the highest score (i.e., first place) by the end of the Promotion Period amongst all eligible Entrants is the overall winner of the Promotion (such Entrant, the “First Place Winner”). As such, there will be one (1) First Place Winner. If applicable, the Entrant(s) who have created and submitted a Perfect Bracket by earning all possible points and by correctly answering all 1st Round bonus questions by the end of the Promotion Period amongst all eligible Entrants in the Promotion is/are the “Perfect Bracket Winner(s)”. If no eligible Entrant has created and submitted a Perfect Bracket, then no Perfect Bracket Prize will be awarded. As noted in Section 5, in the event one or more Series do not occur as scheduled for any reason whatsoever, and obtaining a true Perfect Bracket totaling 404 points is no longer possible to obtain, the Perfect Bracket Prize will not be awarded. All prizes are described below. Ties in point totals will be governed by the tiebreaker rules set forth below. All Entrants must answer the applicable tiebreaker questions when submitting their predictions. The awarding of prizes is subject to the terms of these Official Rules, including confirmation of a potential winner's eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules (including the notification procedures). The odds of winning depends on the number of persons participating in the Promotion, plus the skill of each Entrant in his or her knowledge of the teams participating in the Playoffs and in selecting the choices needed to predict winning teams at various points in time during the Playoffs.
8. TIEBREAKER RULES. If more than one (1) Entrant ties for first place in the Promotion, the tiebreaker question will be used to determine the First Place Winner. The tiebreaker question shall be used for tiebreaking purposes only and shall serve no other purpose in connection with the Promotion. All Entrants are required to submit an answer to the tiebreaker question when submitting their picks.
First Place Winner Tiebreaker Rules: If multiple Entrants are tied for first place at the end of the Promotion, the Entrant who correctly answers the tiebreaker question (i.e., question related to predicting the number of goals scored in the Stanley Cup® Final) will be the First Place Winner (thus winning the Grand Prize). If more than one (1) of these Entrants correctly answers the tiebreaker question, then a random drawing will be held amongst those Entrants who correctly answered the question to determine the First Place Winner. If none of these Entrants correctly answer the tiebreaker question, then the Entrant with the closest answer (either over or under) to the correct number will be deemed the First Place Winner. If more than one (1) of these Entrants have answers that are equally close to the correct answer (either over or under), then a random drawing will be held amongst all such Entrants to determine the First Place Winner.
Any remaining Entrants who tied for the highest score in connection with the Promotion but who were not selected as the First Place Winner (i.e., lost the tiebreaker) are not eligible to win a prize.
Perfect Bracket Winner Tiebreaker Rules: A tiebreaker will not apply to the Perfect Bracket Winner(s). If multiple eligible Entrants have achieved a Perfect Bracket, the Perfect Bracket Prize (as further described below) will be split equally amongst all applicable Perfect Bracket Winners.
9. NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS. Each potential winner must comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules. Winning (and being awarded a prize) is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements, including the requirements of this section. Each potential winner will be notified by email, based on the information provided when registering for an NHL Account, within five (5) business days after the end of the Promotion. Within seven (7) days of being notified, each such winner must complete, sign and return to Sponsor all requested documentation including, but not limited to, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Publicity Release (except where prohibited by law) and Liability Waiver along with a W9 or W-8BEN tax form (if applicable, for residents of the United States or Canada) or other tax form (as applicable for potential winner’s respective jurisdiction of residence) (together, the “Release Forms”). In addition, with respect to a potential Canadian winner, before that person is declared an actual winner that person will also be required to first correctly answer, without mechanical or other assistance, Sponsor's mathematical, skill-testing question that will form part of that winner's Release Forms. Upon Sponsor’s timely receipt of the Release Forms and confirmation of a potential winner’s eligibility to enter this Promotion (including confirming that a potential Canadian winner has correctly answered the skill-testing question), as applicable, then such winner shall be a confirmed winner and shall be awarded a prize subject to, and in accordance with, Section 10 below. If (a) a potential winner cannot be reached for whatever reason after two (2) attempts based on the information stated in the Entry, (b) a potential winner does not comply with the above or within any of the aforesaid time periods, (c) a potential winner fails to timely return to Sponsor fully-completed and executed Release Forms, (d) a potential winner cannot or does not otherwise comply with these Official Rules, (e) a potential winner is found to be ineligible to enter this Promotion, as applicable based on residence or otherwise, (f) a potential Canadian winner failed to answer or has incorrectly answered the skill-testing question, (g) a potential winner declines to receive the prize for whatever reason, or (h) a potential winner’s prize is returned as undeliverable, in each such case such potential winner will be disqualified, and, in the case of the Grand Prize, an alternate potential First Place Winner may be selected (at the Sponsor’s sole discretion) from all eligible Promotion Entries, as applicable, received by awarding the applicable prize to the eligible Entrant with the next highest score subject to application of the tiebreaker rules set forth above. Sponsor is not responsible for documents not received within the required timeframe.
There is one (1) Grand Prize and one (1) Perfect Bracket Prize available to be won in this Promotion.
One (1) Grand Prize - The Grand Prize consists of $1,000 USD for NHLShop.com or NHL Shop.ca each year for a total of ten (10) consecutive years provided in the form of a gift card, gift code, or other form of delivery to be determined by Sponsor based on winner’s location. Gift card, gift code or other form of delivery are subject to respective terms and conditions. Schedule for yearly prize delivery to be provided to First Prize Winner following winner verification. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) of the Grand Prize is $10,000 USD.
One (1) Perfect Bracket Prize – The Perfect Bracket Prize consists of a lump-sum payment of $1,000,000 USD to be provided in the form of a check or other form of delivery to be determined by Sponsor based on winner’s location. In the event that there is more than one (1) eligible Perfect Bracket Winner, the Perfect Bracket Prize shall be divided evenly amongst all eligible Perfect Bracket Winners. Prize delivery details to be provided to winner(s) following winner verification.
In accepting either the Grand Prize and/or the Perfect Bracket Prize, each Prize Winner is responsible for all respective federal, state, county, provincial, local and all other taxes (including income and withholding, as applicable). Sponsor shall not have any obligation or responsibility if a prize, or any component thereof, cannot be awarded due to delays or interruptions due to Acts of God, natural disasters, terrorism, weather or any other event beyond Sponsor's reasonable control, including but not limited to, events or circumstances that could affect public health or safety (e.g., epidemics, pandemics or outbreaks of communicable disease, quarantines, national, regional or state of emergencies or emergency disasters).
The total ARV of all prizes (i.e., one Grand Prize and one Perfect Bracket Prize) is approximately $1,010,000 USD.
ARV of all prizes is in U.S. dollars. All details and other restrictions of prizes not specified in these Official Rules will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Actual value of any prize awarded under this Promotion may be lower or higher at the time of its fulfillment, and any difference between actual value and the stated ARV (if actual value is lower than stated ARV) will not be awarded. Prizes are non-transferable, non-refundable and must be accepted as awarded. Any portion of any prize not accepted or unclaimed and/or unused by the respective winners will be forfeited and will not be substituted. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute a prize (or portion thereof) with another prize (or portion thereof) of equal or greater value whether due to the unavailability of a prize or prize component, or for any other reason. Each winner is solely responsible for any and all applicable federal, state, county, provincial, local and/or any other applicable taxes in all applicable jurisdictions (including income and withholding, as applicable) and/or other costs and expenses associated with accepting, redeeming and/or using a prize which are not specifically listed herein as part of the respective prize.
11. PUBLICITY. Where permitted by law, participation in the Promotion constitutes each winner’s consent to Sponsor’s and its affiliates’, agents’ or affiliated third parties’ use of winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and State/Country/District/Province for promotional purposes in any media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, without further payment or consideration, notice, review or approval. Where not permitted by law, Sponsor and its affiliates, agents or affiliated third parties will seek the winner’s separate consent for such publicity.
12. RELEASE; INDEMNIFICATION; DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. By participating in the Promotion, all Entrants agree to forever and irrevocably release and hold harmless each of the Ineligible Entities and each of their respective officers, directors, governors, members, partners, partnerships, principals, owners, employees, volunteers, representatives, agents, affiliates (past, present and future), related entities, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense of any nature whatsoever (including attorneys’ fees) (collectively, “Losses”), which may occur in connection with (a) the Promotion or any element thereof, including entry or participation in the Promotion, (b) delivery, possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of any prize or component thereof, or (c) participation in any Promotion-related activity or prize-related activity, including any other cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the control of any of the Released Parties. In addition, by participating in this Promotion, each Entrant agrees, to the extent permitted by law, to indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all damages, losses, costs and expenses (including amounts paid in settlement and reasonable attorneys’ fees) incurred by any of the Released Parties in connection with any third-party claim, demand, liability, suit, proceeding or action arising out of or resulting from (i) breach or alleged breach of any representations, warranties or agreements of Entrant hereunder, or (ii) Entrant’s possession, use or misuse of any prize or component thereof. Each Entrant hereby acknowledges that, to the extent permitted by law, the Released Parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any of the prizes (or any components thereof) and that, except as prohibited by applicable law, each prize is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. To the extent permitted by law, the Released Parties hereby disclaim all such warranties, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purposes and/or non-infringement.
13. GENERAL CONDITIONS. All decisions of Sponsor in connection with this Promotion shall be binding and final in all respects. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, cancel, suspend and/or modify the Promotion (with the consent of the Régie (as defined below), as required under the rules and regulations of the Régie), if intervening circumstances warrant, within Sponsor’s sole discretion, due to any fraud, virus or other technical problem which corrupts the administration, security, or proper play of the Promotion (as applicable), or for any other reason, including but not limited to, events or circumstances beyond Sponsor's control. In such event, Sponsor reserves the right to award a prize from among the eligible Entries received up to the time of the termination, cancellation, suspension and/or modification. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Promotion or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term or provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that term or provision. In case of dispute as to the owner of an Entry, the Entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address from which the Entry is made. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization that is responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. A potential winner may be requested to provide the Sponsor or its designees with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry. If a dispute cannot be resolved, the Entry will be deemed ineligible, and an alternate potential winner may be selected in Sponsor’s sole discretion (in accordance with Section 9 above). This Promotion is in no way sponsored or administered by any of the other Ineligible Entities except for Sponsor. Any questions, comments, or complaints regarding the Promotion should be directed to the Sponsor (except for residents of Québec who, as noted below, may address complaints to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (the “Régie”) for any matter within the jurisdiction of the Régie).
14. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. Without limiting anything set forth in Section 12 or Section 13 of these Official Rules, Released Parties shall not have any obligation, responsibility or liability, including any obligation or responsibility to award any prize to Entrants, with regard to: (a) Entries submitted through the use of any robotic or automated device/computer program or any other non-human mechanism, entity, or device; (b) Entries in excess of the stated entry limit; (c) Entries that are illegible, late, forged, destroyed, lost, misplaced, stolen, misdirected, tampered with, incomplete, deleted, damaged, garbled, altered or otherwise not in compliance with or in violation of these Official Rules, whether caused by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion or any other reason beyond Released Parties' control; (d) any technical or human error which may occur in the creation, submission, assignment or processing of Entries in the Promotion, including any technical or human error in connection with the Promotion Website and/or the hosting thereof; (e) Entries, prize claims or notifications that are not received by the intended recipient due to transmission, technical, computer or human failures or error of any kind, including any Entries, prize claims or notifications that are delayed, misdirected, or undelivered as a result of any failure or problem with the availability, functionality, operability or use of any network, server, ISP, website (including the Promotion Website), computer, internet connection, hand-held mobile device or any other equipment or connection used in connection with the Promotion; (f) changes in an Entrant’s Entry information which affects the ability to contact such Entrant; (g) typographical errors in Promotion promotional material; (h) cancellations and/or delays or any change by any company or any other persons providing any of components of the prize due to reasons beyond the control of any of the Released Parties; (i) any interruptions/postponement/cancellation of the Promotion (j) human error; incorrect or inaccurate transcription of Entry information; (k) any technical malfunctions of the computer on-line system, computer dating mechanism, computer equipment, software, or internet service provider utilized by any of the Released Parties or by Entrant; (l) interruption or inability to access the Promotion, any Promotion-related Web pages, or any on-line service via the Internet due to hardware or software compatibility problems; (m) any damage to Entrant’s (or any third person’s) computer and/or its contents related to or resulting from any part of the Promotion; (n) any lost/delayed data transmissions, omissions, interruptions, defects; (o) and/or any other errors or malfunctions, even if caused by the negligence of any one or more of the Released Parties; and/or (p) if a prize, or any component thereof, cannot be awarded due to delays or interruptions due to Acts of God, natural disasters, terrorism, weather or any other event beyond Sponsor's reasonable control, including but not limited to, events or circumstances that could affect public health or safety.
Entrants who participate in an NHL Member Club or NHL partner League are advised that their data will be shared with that NHL Member Club or NHL partner to the extent necessary in connection with the administration of such NHL Member Club’s or NHL partner’s League, including to contact you about winner notification and prizing and as otherwise necessary. In addition, your data may be shared with the NHL Member Clubs and NHL partners to the extent otherwise permitted under applicable law.
16. DISPUTES. With regard to United States (including District of Columbia) Entrants, any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion, or any prize awarded in connection with either of the foregoing shall be resolved exclusively by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, U.S.A. or the appropriate New York State Court located in New York County, New York, U.S.A. and all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Entrants and Sponsor in connection with the Promotion, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A. without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of New York, U.S.A. or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York, U.S.A. With regard to Canadian Entrants, any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion, or any prize awarded in connection with either of the foregoing shall be resolved exclusively by the courts of the Province of Ontario and all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Entrants and Sponsor in connection with the Promotion, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada and the laws of Canada applicable therein without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Province of Ontario or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Province of Ontario; provided, however, that the jurisdiction of the Régie shall apply in relation to a Québec Entrant with respect to any matter within the jurisdiction of the Régie. With regard to Québec Entrants, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of this Promotion may be submitted to the Régie for a ruling; any litigation respecting the awarding of the prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement. Applicable to all Entrants: Except where prohibited by law, Entrants agree that: (i) any and all such disputes, claims and causes of action shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, (ii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Promotion, but in no event attorneys’ fees, (iii) under no circumstances will Entrants be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrants hereby waive all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental, consequential and/or any other damages other than actual out-of-pocket expenses, (iv) they waive any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased, and (v) they irrevocably consent to the personal jurisdiction of the aforesaid courts, as applicable to each such Entrant, and waive any claim of forum non conveniens or lack of personal jurisdiction that they may have. With regard to Entrants in the UK and EU, nothing in these Official Rules shall (a) prohibit the Entrants from bringing a claim in the courts of their home jurisdiction arising under or in connection with these Official Rules; or (b) affect the statutory rights to have any dispute arising under or in connection with these Official Rules governed by the law of their home jurisdiction.
17. SEVERABILITY. If any provision or any part of a provision of these Official Rules is held invalid, illegal, or unenforceable as a matter of law, that portion, provision or part of the provision, as applicable, shall be construed in a manner consistent with applicable law to reflect, as nearly as possible, the original intentions of the parties, and the remaining portions, provisions or part of provisions, as applicable, shall remain in full force and effect. If any invalid, unenforceable or illegal provision would be valid, enforceable or legal if some part of it were deleted, the provision shall apply with whatever modification is necessary to give effect to the provision. To the extent that modification in accordance with the preceding two sentences is impossible, any invalid, unenforceable or illegal provision shall be deemed not to form part of these Official Rules and all other provisions of these Official Rules shall remain in force.
18. WINNERS LIST AND OFFICIAL RULES. For a copy of the Official Rules or Winners List, send the request and a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked by November 30, 2020, to 2020 STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS BRACKET CHALLENGE™ (please specify Winners List or Official Rules) c/o NHL Interactive CyberEnterprises, LLC, 1185 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, United States, 10036. Residents of VT, Canada, Bulgaria, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK may omit return postage. The Official Rules will also be available on the Promotion Website during the Promotion Period.
NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup, the Stanley Cup Playoffs logo and the Stanley Cup Final logo are registered trademarks and Stanley Cup Qualifiers name and logo, Stanley Cup Playoffs Bracket Challenge name and logo, and the Stanley Cup Championship logo are trademarks of the National Hockey League. © NHL 2020. All Rights Reserved.